The Unusual Suspects Goes Virtual
Although we can no longer convene our theatre-arts education and mentorship workshops in person due to the pandemic, we have continued to support LA’s underserved and incarcerated youth by quickly transitioning to digital operations and ensuring online access to programming. In mid-March, US staff quickly shifted internal, organizational operations into a remote setting. And, since then, staff has been working around the clock to successfully transition US programming to a virtual environment.
Here are just a few highlights:
- The launch of our NEW Summer 2020 Alumni Program: The Alumni Program Leadership Committee — comprised of current US alumni — is meeting virtually on a regular basis to coordinate, plan and develop program strategies going into this summer.
- Virtual Neighborhood Voices Program: Our FREE bilingual family drama
program is now being hosted online every Monday & Wednesday from 6pm-8pm (Pacific). Participants create an original play, engage in fun theater games and connect with friends.
- Los Angeles Co. Probation Department’s Dorothy Kirby Center: Incarcerated youth participants are now connecting with US virtually as part of our Youth Theatre Residency Program.
- Los Angeles Co. Probation Department’s Nidorf Juvenile Hall: Incarcerated youth participants are now connecting with US virtually as part of our Voices from Inside writing and performance program.
- Content Library: We’ve created a library of additional pre-recorded content to deliver to our LAUSD students. Our workshops are currently LIVE on Florence Griffith Joyner Elementary School’s website.
- Virtual Programming for South LA & San Fernando Valley Schools: Our FREE afterschool drama performance program will be hosted online twice a week for students at Edison Middle School, Sepulveda Middle School and San Fernando High School. Participants will socialize with their classmates via fun theatre games, learn performance techniques, and stage their original play.
- Virtual Performances: Stay tuned … We’ll soon be announcing our first series of virtual performances!
Check out what some of our participants and Teaching Artists have had to say about our virtual programming.